Tuesday 12 July 2016

boats on jacks in yard - water color sketch

boats on jacks in yard - water color sketch

This water colour sketch was done on a sunny June day. It shows a number of boats all standing on jacks and resting in the sunshine. The location is a local boat yard in Northam, Southampton which is situated on the east side of the city and has the River Itchen running beside it. When I was looking for a subject to paint I found this gap in a line of boats in the yard and thought I would plonk myself there to view the scene as shown, as it is unlikely that space would be used for anything while I'm sitting there for an hour. But just I had finished doing a rough drawing and preparing the paints one of the yard workers said that I would have to move because a boat was imminently about to fill that space. 5 mins later once the boat had been maneuvered in I was then able to sit myself in a space a few feet away from my original position and carry on, though it is strange how a slight shift in position can throw your observations as I was now looking at a scene which the drawing did not fully show.
water color boat yard sketch M P Davey
collection of boats on jacks - water color sketch

No comments:

Post a Comment